Kids love colouring, especially with vibrant, versatile wax crayons! Unfortunately, these popular drawing media can make a real mess of your carpets when accidentally trodden-in. The key to getting rid of any stain is to tackle it quickly, before the problem substance has a chance to become deeply entrenched in the carpet fibres.
Here are three simple ways to remove wax crayon stains from your carpets.
Note: Carpet cleaning products can be bought from DIY stores or direct from your local carpet cleaning contractor. Remember to state the nature of the stain to make sure you get the most effective product.
- Use a blunt knife to very carefully scrape up any crayon residue from the surface of your carpet.
- Apply a small amount of proprietary carpet cleaning product to the carpet, as per the manufacturers' guidelines.
- Blot the area using a clean towel until the mark has lifted. Allow the area to dry and repeat the process if necessary.
- Remove any wax from the surface of the carpet using a blunt knife.
- Take an ice cube wrapped in a plastic bag and apply it to the stained area to freeze any residual wax.
- Cover the stained area with a clean, white towel or cloth. Apply a warm iron to the cloth. The heat will lift the wax and colour dye into the cloth and away from the carpet.
- If there is any staining still on the carpet, gently sponge the area using a proprietary carpet cleaning product as per the manufacturer's directions. Blot dry using a colour-fast cloth or paper towel.
Method 3 (for melted-in wax crayon stains)
If the previous two methods fail to remove the staining, it could be because the wax crayon has actually melted deeper into the carpet fibres. Try the following method.
- Mix a few drops of washing-up liquid with a cup of warm water.
- Lay a clean, white cloth over the stain. Pour some of the soapy water onto the cloth and allow it to soak through into the stained area.
- Place a warm iron over the stain and allow it to stand there for a few minutes.
- Blot the carpet dry with a clean, colour-fast towel.
- If the stain is still visible, repeat the procedure.
Wax crayon can be particularly stubborn to remove. If the above methods don't succeed in getting rid of the mark, give your local carpet cleaning company a call. They will have access to industrial strength, substance-specific cleaning chemicals that should completely shift any remaining marks, leaving your carpet looking as good as new.